About Thinks

Sometimes good thinks happen and sometimes bad thinks happen. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two.

Some thinks need immediate action and some thinks may remain as thinks forever. Thinks can be angry and heated. Thinks can be joyful. Thinks should never be cold.

These thinks are linked to many other wonderful thinks and I like to attribute these.

These thinks do not necessary reflect those thinks of my employer.

Think long, think on.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Confession: I catch and spread

If we were all to stay in the same place forever, would anything ever happen?

I have worked alongside some phenomenal educators (and children) all of whom have marvelous skills and traits that I am now able to share and cross pollinate with others.

Social networks are great for allowing us to share great ideas, resources, and learning experiences, but they do not capture the magic we see everyday when working alongside others.

The daily grind stuff, the stuff that is too hard to put into words, the stuff you learn from each other through osmosis. The behaviour management, the I-love-the-way-he-dealt-with-that, the little gap fillers. The way things are set up and introduced, the little games, the silly songs, the crafty craft, the tricks of the trade.

And when you go to another place you'll find that there are other amazing people who do things slightly differently that they have gained from others - and we can extract their goodness for next time.

Goodness carriers are in a very special situation - we can take all the great (and dispose of the not so great). The new children we teach are treated to the same you - but with a slightly tweaked operating system. You can't upgrade at the same school as easily - because the people are already there doing their great stuff. You need to take it and share it elsewhere (thus leaving a gap for another to come in and share their acquired goodness).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tara

    There is nothing like seeing the 'theatre' involved of a teacher in action! That observation is so important, I wish we were able to see others in our profession more!

    I am just reaching my registration in the middle of this year, and it already seems like ages since I trained, and was able to learn from my supervising teachers in their classrooms. The I-love-the-way-he-dealt-with-that is vital to our growth. Love that line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I am very lucky this year and I team teach with two other talented teachers. It is amazing as I get to see the 'show' everyday. Team teaching is just awesome for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara (and others)

    Yes, the "little gap fillers" are more important than we think. "Small things loosely joined" - it's not just the Internet, it's everyday life. The art is in joining the dots - that's when bigger pictures emerge. As we like to say down here in little ol' Dunedin: "It's all right here!". Yes, it is all here, but sometimes it isn't very well connected.

    I caught a tweet about your interest is starting a Ed Ignite. Great idea. We've had a few terrific Pecha Kucha nights in Dunedin. I haven't been to an ignite, but I gather they are shorter presentations. They seem to be catching on at conferences.

    Good to come across a passionate blog full of good news and good ideas.

    All the best.

    Mark McGuire
    http://markmcguire.net/

    ReplyDelete